Sunday, September 20, 2015

Resting in Jesus' Arms










2 Corinthians 1:3
Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of comfort.

This past summer was very difficult as my only brother passed away.  I had not seen him in 20 years as he was estranged from the family.  His death really hit me hard and my emotions have been all over the place trying to come to terms with his death.  I had been praying for years that he would be reconciled with the family and now I have had to accept that that will never happen.

Death is normal in our life here on earth, but not very welcome.  Those of us with assurance of eternal life with our Lord Jesus have something to look forward to after death, but we still can be overwhelmed with sorrow when a loved one goes on before us.

Just last week I heard from a cousin that his daughter and son-in-law lost their baby while she was 18 weeks pregnant.  Around 25 years ago, I had lost two babies in a row around that same time, so I understand something of what they are now going through.  I was trying to figure out what I could say to bring them comfort and a song started forming in my head. 

As I was composing, I realized that the song is for anyone who has lost a loved one.  I wrote two first verses – one for my cousin’s daughter and one about my brother. 

Laura and Jake, may be you comforted by the Lord’s overwhelming goodness and faithfulness to His beloved.

And to my family, I pray the same hope and comfort for you.

Resting in Jesus’ Arms

Oh my Lord Jesus, my heart is breaking,   
My arms are empty, I hurt deep inside.   
For my small babe has gone on before me,       
And now I must face, face a world without him now.   

I cannot understand why this has happened.
Why does a loving God allow suffering?
But He is faithful so I will just trust Him,
And there I will stay, safely resting in His arms.   

Then there will come the day, my life will be over.
My Lord will call me home, and to Him I’ll go.
Tears will be erased, my loved one then I’ll see,
And there we will stay, safely resting in His arms.

Alternate first verse:
Oh my Lord Jesus, my heart is breaking,
My life feels empty, I hurt deep inside.
For my brother has gone on before me,
And now I must face, face a world without him now.

Written 9/19/2015

So there are two videos for this song, with the two different first verses.

For Laura and Jake:




Or watch it on:YouTube



For my family:



Or watch it on:YouTube

2 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry about your brother. It's nice that you can put your feelings into a song. God has gifted you with that ability. May God be your comforter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also with the loss of your two pregnancies....

    ReplyDelete