Saturday, May 17, 2014

A Bit About Me and My Music



For as long as I can remember, I have had tunes running through my head, sometimes with words, sometimes not.  In fact, my sister Carol Wieland and I used to make up tunes to help us memorize our Bible verses when we were young.  I love singing and listening to music and enjoy playing the piano.

Several years ago, my brother-in-law Dr. Jonathan Sastic sent us a CD with Easter music he played on the piano and organ.  One of the songs is “The Via Dolorosa” by Niles Borop and Billy Sprague, for which he had made his own arrangement. I love that song and decided to learn to play it.  I bought a copy of the sheet music, but it was accompaniment and too hard for me to play, plus the right hand wasn’t the melody.  So I figured that if Jon could write his own arrangement, so could I. 

Now I had taken some piano lessons when in high school, but didn’t get very far and really didn’t know what I was doing. But I sat down at the piano and kept hitting the keys and eventually came up with something I could play and that I liked.

Then one day as a tune with the phrase “the heavens declare your glory, O Lord” was running through my head, I decided to pick out the melody on the piano.  I then got the words and notes on paper, added chords and the song was written.  Since then, I have written a few more songs.  Without any music theory this has been a challenge, but one I enjoy.

A bit more about me – I am nearing 60.  My husband Charlie and I raised 4 wonderful children, homeschooling them all the way through high school.  I love to garden (organically), sew, read, exercise, try new recipes, take pictures, and play the piano.  Most importantly, I strive to live for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that He would be glorified through my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment